Morrisons Supermarkets needed to quickly secure a new regional distribution centre (RDC) to support existing facilities and further growth in the South West. As well as the RDC, the project included an urban extension for 2,000 new homes, site remediation, rail crossings, and enabling infrastructure.
This large-scale project contained various requirements, including:
- 2,000 new homes
- 850,000ft² Morrisons distribution unit
- 100,000 ft² B1, B2 & B8
- Site remediation
- Bridge over rail
- Tunnel under rail
- £35m of enabling infrastructure
- Numerous high-value and high-risk contracts
We provided project management and cost control services on this 780,000ft² and £59m project to drive the scheme through planning, design and implementation against a challenging timescale to meet the plc board’s expectations.
- The RDC is designed to service over 65 stores and includes ambient, chilled, frozen and bread warehouses together with resource recycling and vehicle maintenance units.
- The building achieved BREEAM Excellent through the use of photovoltaics, intelligent internal and external LED lighting systems, rain water harvesting, solar thermal heating, air source heat pumps, waste heat reclamation and on-site waste recycling.
- This iconic building adjacent to Junction 23 of the M5 was shortlisted Local Authority Building Control (LABC) South West Building Excellence Awards.